Nov 5, 2013
A new and especially informative report on ALEC’s influence and interference with America’s energy standards and pursuit of renewable energy sources was just released by ProgressNow.org.
This in-depth analysis and reporting is critical of ALEC and completely connects all dots between oil and energy conglomerates, ALEC and the legislation developed by both to keep the oil industry enriched at the expense of our environment and unnecessary expenditures of tax dollars in subsidies.
Because of ALEC’s support for the XL Keystone Pipeline (issuing a resolution in support and providing “academies” that provides legislators free trips to Canada) and their influence internationally through their International Relations Task Force (IRTF), their activities regarding energy have worldwide implications.
Anyone with concern for America’s future must read and study this report. By doing so you will become clear on the companies, corporations, organizations and think tanks involved and provides us with how they accomplish deregulation and muddy the waters on renewable energy standards.
Here are the “Report Highlights” taken from the full 36 page study:
ALEC’s Energy, Environment and Agriculture (EEA) Task Force puts foxes in charge of the henhouse. Buoyed by oil giants, coal conglomerates and electric utilities, the task force is a pantheon to pollution interests. Its agenda is written, funded and supported by fossil fuel interests, and boasts of achievements nationwide. The crony capitalist polices of the EEA Task Force include:
- In 2013 Renewable Energy Portfolio Standards came under attack across the states. With encouragement from ALEC and various utilities, the attacks came close to rolling back these job-creating policies in various states. While ALEC’s 2013 attack failed, at its annual convention in Chicago, ALEC regrouped and set its sights again on the standards for 2014.
- ALEC and its oil interest members promulgate a hollow disclosure bill. The bill was an Exxon Mobil model, giving oil corporations exactly what they asked for on hydraulic fracturing regulations. Based off Texas law, ALEC’s model bill has been dispersed and enacted as a law in at least five states, with additional states enacting the language by administrative rule.
- Like Renewable Portfolio Standards in 2013, ALEC had originally failed to stop Greenhouse Gas Accords, and after regrouping in 2010, with the aid of Tea-Party legislators, ALEC’s agenda killed the accords in the Midwest and West.
- ALEC’s EEA Task Force seems willing to work on niche issues, if the price is right. ALEC’s supposedly nation-wide report on Uranium mining appears to have been, specifically tailored for Virginia, to provide cover for ALEC legislators attempting to pass legislation to benefit an ALEC member.
- Continuing its tradition of corporate authored legislation, ALEC’s resolution on the Keystone XL Pipeline is derived directly from the talking points issued by ALEC-Member TransCanada, the company seeking to build the Keystone XL. From Maine to Hawaii, legislators have proposed the resolution, parroting TransCanada’s arguments. TransCanada has used ALEC to promote its interests through unethical and legally suspect “scholarship” programs.
Please take the time to read the full ProgressNow report -> HERE <-