Sep 3, 2012
The truth is that every living being that breathes air and exists in our rapidly destabilizing atmosphere has sacrificed to “build” the Kochs’ business by allowing them to take our planet over the edge: two thirds of America is covered in drought, Arctic ice is receding to record lows, and the Kochs’ own scientists are now undoubtedly convinced that our earth is warming. Poor people and future generations will pay the highest human price, even as entire ecosystems face extinction.
Others who helped to build the Kochs’ business include:
- Countless workers, who have made the billionaire brothers, together, the world’s third wealthiest individuals after Carlos Slim and Bill Gates.
- Communities with cancer clusters could be a legacy at some of the Kochs’ industrial sites, and a forthcoming report from IFG will explain more of this unexplored topic. Corpus Christie, Texas, is one place where Koch Industries brazenly leaked benzene from its facility, only to award itself for environmental achievement when it eventually complied with the law.
- Crops crashing due to drought: The Kochs’ cheerleading for carbon emissions are leaving farmers in the lurch and countless people hungry as food prices rise globally. US taxpayers are now on the hook for another $14B in payouts for crop insurance due to this summer’s damage.
- Veterans of oil wars who went to serve their country but found themselves fighting for access to oil to feed the refineries that the Kochs and others built to support the fossil fuels infrastructure. Too much blood and treasure has been spent to secure supplies that keep oil flowing and the Kochs cashing in.
- US Taxpayers: who paid for the roads, bridges, tunnels, highways and other public infrastructure from which the Kochs’ oil refineries and other products make their money.
To read the entire article from the IFG Oligarchy Blog, please click here